Saturday, July 29, 2006

Woodchuck or ground hog: My Life Crisis.

I can't be the one made to decide these things! Is one name more suitable than the other? I just can't make up my mind this afternoon.

I love being here in Poughkeepsie, where all my daily quandaries boil down to decisions on how to properly address the furry brown rodents with a predilection for rummaging through our rubbish bin in search of left over bits of hummus or apple scraps.
Working up here is a treat- I have my own "cabin" as it were, I'm surrounded by my friends who also happen to be my co-workers, and I get to do all sorts of shopping. Yesterday I got a vintage necklace for $4 that would have easily cost me at least $20 in NYC if not more. Plus, I went to the Farmer's Market and got fresh squash, tomatoes, zucchini and blackberries that look like I swiped them from Ina Garten's own refridgerator. I've been feasting on these healthy snacks and enjoying long walks through the lush Vassar campus. Really, really long- this year the teaching staff is housed on the farthest point up top, so it's a good 15 minute walk to the center of campus. But it's such a lovely stroll, and you're likely to see robins, squirrels and maybe even a chubby chipmunk if you're lucky. I especially love seeing the swans in the lake, and once in a while I've seen a doe and baby deer. It's amazing that the city is only 2 hours away- this feels like another planet.

Later tonight, I'm going to go off to a birthday supper on the banks of the Hudson, and pray to god that someone brings bug spray. Mosquitos fucking love me and my ankles.

No comments: