Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Winnie's: A Karaoke Odyssey Part the Third.


Big Spender
Originally uploaded by branleighbarber.

...and here we see that my karaoke style has changed little from the days of old. This photo was taken in 2001, at one of the handful of birthdays I've had at Winnie's.

Only a few day prior, the chubby, seemingly sweet guy I'd been pity dating for a few weeks announced his bisexuality to me by abruptly dumping me for 1) another woman (who at the time was dating his best friend) and 2) an obnoxious, unfunny guy. At the time, I cried a lot about it, not because I was that broken up over it, but because he was so unattractive and he beat me to the punch.

Note how badly I'm taking it here. I put on a trampy dress and bolted down some mai tais. That night, My ex and close friend John gave me a birthday card of a mod girl riding a Vespa, and on her white turtleneck he had written "[first name of chubby, seemingly sweet guy] IS FAT". I still have it.

Later, a Mexican dwarf will appear at the bar and chat up my friend Joay and a man in an eye patch will literally paw at my friend Emily as he accosts her while caterwauling into the mike in Cantonese.

No comments: