Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I love when stuff like this happens.

Bet this is causing quite the stir on The Knot.com's message boards! What?! An adult woman doesn't want to get married?! She dares to speak out on the whole sacred institution of the white veil?! How can such a thing be? The fabric of society has been torn irreparably! What next?! A plague of ticks?!? Oh the horror!!!

I say to her, bravo. I love when people figure out what works for them and do it, sans apology. Not everyone has to be married to be in a loving, companionate relationship. No matter how you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a swine in Avon's Cherries in the Snow. If you love someone, you love them unconditionally and show them the utmost respect. Marriage license, ring or permisson from some fuddy-duddy old man in a frock clutching a dumb bible, or no.

By the by Halle, loved you in BOOMERANG (second mention of this film in less than 2 weeks. Eeek).

Maybe Halle read this little gem:


"Once a woman passes a certain point in intelligence, it is almost impossible to get a husband: she simply cannot go on listening [to men] without snickering."

-- H.L. Mencken

Halle Berry Says No More Marriages

MONDAY MARCH 19, 2007 06:35 PM EST

Halle Berry Photo by: Gilbert Flores / Celebrity Photo
Halle Berry: No More Marriage | Halle Berry
Though she's been dating model Gabriel Aubry for more than a year, Halle Berry says she doesn't plan to walk down the aisle with him – or anybody.

"I will never, never get married again," the Oscar winner, 40, says in the April issue of InStyle.

"Actually it's just that now I've come to a place where I think two people can share their lives without the ring, without the piece of paper."

Besides, she's tried to make marriage work – twice. Berry, whose thriller with Bruce Willis, Perfect Stranger, opens April 13, was formerly wed to Atlanta Braves player David Justice and R&B singer Eric BenĂ©t. Both unions ended in divorce.

She met Aubry, 31, while shooting a Versace ad in November 2005. They made their public debut as a couple three months later at the opening of a Versace store in New York City.

"After my last relationship [with actor Michael Ealy] broke up I was feeling like, well, it wasn't that I didn't want to be in a relationship, it's just that I thought it would be okay to be on my own," she tells InStyle.

"But he was disarmingly sweet and caring and different. In the past I've been attracted to big personalities. Gabriel was shy. He hardly talked to me at first."

But that just made him more appealing. "I had to work at this a little," she says. "It wasn't a slam dunk; it wasn't the guy just showering affection on me. It made it more interesting. We were equally matched – put it that way."

And the future? Berry, who has said she wants to adopt, tells the magazine: "I definitely want children. Very much."

And when she does become a mother, she hopes to pass on some important values.

"I want my kids to realize it's only through hard work that any success or real joy comes," she says. "It's not about money; it's the intangible rewards – having integrity and doing what you say you're going to do."

2 comments:

matt said...

Maybe Halle reads.

Brandy For Sale. said...

Not likely, my pet. Not likely.