Monday, January 17, 2005

More Than A Feeling

Today was an MLK, Jr. celebration at my new job. It was awesome. Marty Markowitz, Brooklyn Borough President was there, as well as the honorable Sen. Charles S. Schumer, and, in a surprise visit,personal idol Sen. Hillary Clinton! I can't wait to tell my Grandma, who will be thrilled. Ms. Clinton gave a great speech & bitched out the Republican party to the delight of the cheering audience. I caught a glimpse of one of her Secret Service guys and it, for some reason, gave me chills to see them. They kind of freak me out. The Bodyguard could have been a cool movie had it had a decent female lead, because that plotline about ex-Secret Servicemen was cool. Did I just admit that? Shame on me.

I was overcome with emotion many times throughout the ceremony. Especially when I had to hand out reprints of the 1963 New York Times to all those in attendance, standing by a main entrance/exit door in the path of a freezing wind chill. I was annoyed when my fingers were all grey from newsprint. But when they went numb, I was quickly able to move beyond the grime.

I watched the Golden Globes last night and was so excited to see Jason Bateman win; I cried. I was upset that Desperate Housewives won in best comedy since it's really more of a soap...but, the speech by the show's creator made up for that because it was so heartbreaking and funny. I was sad Hillary Swank won; she already has an Oscar so let someone else have a crack- like Virginia Madsen for chrissakes, who's been in the trenches since the 80's. Imelda Staunton would have been nice as well; she is so amazing as an actress. Those British actresses always pack a wallop. I loved her way back in Peter's Friends. Even more important, for Vera Drake, a film that's sympathetic to the women who helped provide safe abortions when they were illegal to receive mainstream recognition would have been great. Especially given the fucked up conservative bullshit this country seems determined to shove down everyone's throats. I cried the 2 times Sideways won. I cry a lot.

Anyway, Jamie Foxx irritated me with his ridiculous self-absorbed antics. I'm so tired of dead celebrity bio wins I could puke. Mariska Haritgay (sp?) also got on my last nerve. Shut up about yourself! Jesus. I really, really liked Minnie Driver's dress.

But the worst by far was disgusting troll Star Jones and her hideous lack of talent on the red carpet. She is a useless, trite piece of cardboard. I hope her gay "husband"/beard brings home chlamydia (sp?) so it eats her reproductive organs silently and when she attempts to clone, it will be too late. Somehow she managed to have all the guests talk about her own "wedding"...AGAIN. I am obsessed with her breastgut.

Kathy Griffin made a point of being strident but still pretty funny. I enjoyed that she started an Olsen twins rehab rumor. Later one of the interchangeable grinning baboon E! Entertainment Channel commentators tried to dismiss her as "irreverent" and then read puss copy some lame segment producer wrote, back peddling and discrediting Kathy's Olsen twins comment. I for one thought it was awesome. Those two creepy sugar glider-looking freaks are clearly attempting to be as drugged up as possible.

My new cashmere scarf reeks like curry. I am falling asleep at the keyboard. Must take nap.


No comments: